1. Which of the following is a synthetic polymer?
(D) Nucleic acids
2. The carbohydrate which cannot be hydrolysed by the human digestive system is
(D) All these
3. Which of the following constitute the genetic material of the cell?
(D) Nucleic acids
4. Which of the following is the sweetest sugar?
5. Enzymes in the living systems
(B) Catalyse biological reactions
(C) Transport oxygen
(D) Provide immunity
6. Amino acids are the building blocks of:
7. Vitamin A is called
8. In a dry cell, anode consists of:
9. The major problem in harnessing nuclear energy is how to
(B) Sustain the reaction
(C) Dispose off spent fuel safely
(D) Convert nuclear energy into electrical energy
10. Depletion of ozone is mainly due to
(B) Chlorofluorocarbon compounds
11. Excessive exposure of humans to UV-rays results in
(I) Damage to immune system
(II) Damage to skin
(III) Skin cancer
(IV) Peptic ulcers
(A)(I) and (II)
(B) (II) and (IV)
(C) (III) and (IV)
(D) (I) and (III)
12. From the list given below pick the item that is not a natural resource
13. The most rapidly dwindling natural resource in the world is
14. A particle is moving in a circular path of radius r. The displacement after half a circle would be
15. An Atom Bomb works on the principle of
(B) Nuclear fusion
16. Which is diffraction?
(A)Superposition of dispersed light
(B) Bending of light rays at the corners
(C) Partial absorption of light
(D) None of the above
17. A car moves at 80km/hr in the first half of the total time of motion and at 40km/hr in the later half. Its average speed is
18. Colour-blindness is inability to distinguished colours
19. Chicken-pox is a disease caused by
20. It is not advisable to sleep under a tree at night because of
(A)Release of less oxygen
(B) Release of more oxygen
(C) Release of carbon dioxide
(D) Release of carbon monoxide
21. Aqueous solution of SO2 is
22. Person taking rich diet of ascorbic acid will not suffer from
23. Other than nucleus which cellular organelle contains DNA?
(B) Golgi complex
24. In the absence of light, what will increase?
(B) Elongation of internodes
(C) Uptake of mineral salts
(D) Extension of leaf lamina
25. Marsh gas is
26. Rusting of iron is
(B) Oxidation reaction
(C) Redox reaction
(D) Displacement reaction
27. Petroleum is refined by
(B) Fractional distillation
(C) Steam distillation
(D) Vacuum distillation
28. Which one of the following is known as Bayer’s Reagent?
(A)Dilute alkaline solution of potassium permanganate
(B) Concentrated acidic solution of potassium permanganate
(C) Acidic solution of potassium permanganate
(D) Neutral solution of potassium permanganate
29. The pseudopodia of amoeba are used for
(B) Movement and capture of food
(C) Sensing the food
(D) Capture of food
30. Which of the following is not a “green house gas”?
31. A ball at a place where g = 10m/s2 is thrown up with a speed of 20 m/s. How high it will go before it begins to fall?
(B) 20 m
(C) 10 m
32. With the increase in temperature the resistance of a conductor
(C) Remains the same
(D) None of these
33. A body of mass 4 kg is projected vertically with a speed 3m/s. The maximum gravitational energy of the body is
(B) 4.5 J
(C) 9 J
(D) 2.25 J
34. Which of the following statement is not true for a geo-stationary satellite of the earth?
(A)Such a satellite is stationery in space
(B) Its angular speed is equal to that of earth about its own axis.
(C) Its time period is 24 hours
(D) It revolves around earth from west to east.
35. Two water droplets merge with each other to form a larger droplet. In this process
(A)Energy is absorbed.
(B) Energy is liberated.
(C) Energy is neither liberated nor absorbed.
(D) Some mass is converted into energy
36. It is hotter at the same distance over the top of a fire than it is on the side of it, mainly because
(A)Heat is radiated upwards
(B) Air conducts heat upwards
(C) Conduction and radiation contribute significantly in transferring heat upwards
(D) Convection takes more heat upwards
37. Suppose there is a hole in a copper plate. Upon heating the plate, diameter of hole would
(B) Always decrease
(C) Remains the same
(D) First increase and then decrease
38. The propagation of kinetic energy in a wave is related to
(C) Both inertia and elasticity
(D) Neither inertia nor elasticity
39. The source of electromagnetic waves can be a charge
(A)Moving with a constant velocity
(B) Moving in a circular orbit
(C) At rest
(D) At rest in an electric field
40. Myopia or short sightedness is corrected by using
(B) Convex lens
(C) Cylindrical lens
(D) Concave mirror
41. When a shaving brush is taken out of water its hair cling together. Why?
(A)Due to viscosity
(B) Due to elasticity
(C) Due to surface tension
(D) Due to friction
42. Which of the following is the heaviest metal?
43. Chemosynthetic bacteria obtain energy from
(B) Infrared rays
(C) Organic substances
(D) Inorganic chemicals
44. …………….. is the largest State of India.(Area wise)
(C) Uttar Pradesh
45. Rift Valley is the result of
46. The Suez Canal connects
(A)Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea
(B) Arabian Sea and Red Sea
(C) Mediterranean Sea and Arabian Sea
(D) None of the above
47. The city of ‘Detroit’ is famous for
(B) Ship Building
(C) Automobile Industry
(D) Meat Packing
48. “Teesta” forms a part of which major river system?
49. Which state would you associate with “Sundarbans”(Mangroves)?
(B) Andhra Pradesh
(C) West Bengal
50. ‘Ghana Bird Sanctuary’ is located in
(C) Himachal Pradesh
(D) Arunachal Pradesh
(B) Yellow Revolution
(C) White Revolution
(D) Black Revolution
52. ………..state is the major producer of woolen goods in India.
53. ‘Durand Line’ is the borderline between
(A)India and Myanmar
(B) Pakistan and Afghanistan
(C) India and Afghanistan
(D) India and Bhutan
54. …………………..is the coldest region of the atmosphere.
55. The place named ‘Dibrugarh’ is in the state of
(D) Arunachal Pradesh
56. …………ocean remains frozen for a longer period of the year.
57. Which of the following planets is the hottest planet?
58. The Indian Standard Time is ………………hours ahead of the Greenwich Mean Time.
59. Ozone layer depletion is chiefly found in
(B) South pole
60. Who among the following is elected by an electoral college consisting of the elected members of the Lok Sabha, the Rajya Sabha and the State Legislative Assemblies?
(B) Prime Minister
(C) Chief Justice of India
(D) Speaker of Lok Sabha
61. Justice…………… has recently sworn in as 43rd Chief Justice of India.
(A) Trilok Singh Thakur
(B) Tara Singh Thakur
(C) Trilochan Singh Thakur
(D) Tirath Singh Thakur
62. Which of the following is not a Fundamental Right?
(A)Right to Education
(B) Right to Property
(C) Right against Exploitation
(D) Right to Equality
63. ……….is the maximum strength of the Lok Sabha.
64. The number of Union Territories in India is
65. The maximum time gap between two sessions of Parliament is
(B) 3 months
(C) 4 months
(D) 6 months
66. Who appoints the Comptroller and Auditor General of India?
(A)Governor of RBI
(B) President of India
(C) Finance Minister
(D) NITI Ayog
67. Who termed ‘Right to Constitutional Remedies’ as the ‘Heart and Soul of the Constitution’?
(A)Dr. Rajendra Prasad
(B) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
(C) Jawaharlal Nehru
(D) Mahatma Gandhi
68. Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding the qualifications to become the President of India?
(A)One must be a citizen of India
(B) One must be of 40 years in age
(C) One must not hold any government office
(D) One must be eligible to be a member of the Lok Sabha
69. …………………… is considered as the “Custodian of the Lok Sabha”.
(A)The leader of the Ruling Party
(B) The Speaker
(C) The President of India
(D) The leader of the Opposition Party
70. India switched over to the decimal currency system in the year
71. Ban on shipping imposed by a country on group of countries as a retaliatory measure against unfriendly countries is called
(B) Estate Duty
72. An economic measure to stifle competition – selling below cost to get control of the market, is known as
73. Payment made in addition to wages and salaries for employees and in addition to dividend for shareholders, is known as
(B) Dearness Allowance
74. ‘ATM’ stands for
(A)Automated Transfer of Money
(B) Any Time Money
(C) Automated Teller Machine
(D) Automated Transaction Machine
75. The currency symbol ‘p’ represents
(D) Russian Ruble
76. The new car model ‘Lodgy’ belongs to……………………..car manufacturing company.
(A)Mahindra & Mahindra
77. ‘Napoleon Bonaparte’ originally hailed from
78. ‘Boston Tea Party’ incident (1773) is associated with
(B) French Revolution
(C) American Revolution
(D) Chinese Revolution
79. The name ‘Chanakya’ is associated with
(D) Chandragupta Maurya
80. ……………….. is known as the founder of ‘Slave Dynasty’.
(B) Qutubuddin Aibak
(D) Alauddin Khilji
81. Who among the following is regarded as the authority (of ancient India) on law?
82. The famous Indus Valley Civilization site ‘ Bhimbetka’ (Caves) is located in the state of
(B) Pakistani Punjab
(D) Madhya Pradesh
83. During Rigvedic Period, the term ‘Nishka’ was used for the
(A)Original inhabitants of India
(B) Belonging like cows and horses
(C) Crop Barley
(D) Gold coins
84. Who wrote ‘Harshacharita’?
(B) Vishnu Sharma
85. Which of the following names (of Governor Generals of India) is associated with ‘Permanent Settlement’ as its formulator and implementer?
(B) Lord Cornwallis
(C) Lord Hastings
(D) Lord Curzon
86. …………..was the founder of Mughal dynasty in India.
87. Who built ‘Ibadat Khana’ at Fatehpur Sikri?
88. Whose name is associated with ‘Tatvabodhini Sabha’ as its founder?
(A)Raja Ram Mohan Roy
(B) Keshab Chandra Sen
(C) Debendra Nath Tagore
(D) Annie Besant
89. Which of the following was a moderate leader of Indian National Congress?
(A)Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(B) Bipin Chandra Pal
(C) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
(D) Lala Lajpat Rai
90. In which session of INC, the ‘Poorna Swaraj’ was declared at its ultimate goal?
91. ‘Man Booker Prize’ is given in the field of
93. The famous hindi novel “Chandrakanta Santati’ was written by
(A)Sharat Chandra Bandopadhyay
(B) Devaki Nandan Khatri
(C) Munshi Prem Chand
(D) Jai Shankar Prasad
Directions (Q. Nos. 94-98): Out of four given alternatives, choose the one which correctly stands for each expression.
94. A group of musicians playing together form:
95. Practice of a married woman having extra marital relationship :
96. A small enclosure for sheep, poultry etc.:
97. A workman who fits and repairs pipes:
98. A group of violent people intending to attack:
Directions (Q.Nos.99-101) : Choose the correct meaning of the idiom from the four given alternatives.
99. A feather in the cap
(A)To be reluctant
(B) A really foolish man
(C) To be cruel
(D) A very good achievement
100. In the pink of health
(A)To be sick
(B) To be fit and fined
(C) Very thin & lean