Himachal Pradesh Weekly Current Affairs
The Great Himalayan National Park and Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary ranked as best managed Protected Areas:
- The Great Himalayan National Park and Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary have been ranked as the best managed protected areas in the entire country, with Sainj WLS also placed among the top 5 list.
- The report on Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries in India was released by Prakash Javedkar, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India.
- The effectiveness of management is evaluated on the basis of multiple parameters and generally defines how well the National Park/Wildlife sanctuary is being managed.
- The evaluation process was done by the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun and nation-wide 146 National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries, including 13 protected areas of Himachal Pradesh, were assessed through a team of independent evaluators.
- The score is given for various parameters including staff position, provision of financial resources, degree of protection, peoples’ participation and awareness of the communities towards the conservation values.
- Against a national average of 62 percent GHNP and Tirthan WLS scored a high of 84.17 percent while Sainj recorded 82.5 percent.
Himachal Pradesh has a network of 5 National Parks, 28 Wildlife Sanctuaries and 3 Conservation Reserves covering 8391.42 km2 which is 15 percent of the total geographical area of the state.
Read more: HP Current Affairs [Weekly and Monthly]
Stay updated with us: