Today we discuss the Lokayukta of Himachal Pradesh.
Lokayukta investigates the cases of corruption, where substantiated, recommend action. He is a great check on corruption, brings about transparency in the system, and makes administrative machinery citizenship friendly.
- The Lokayukta is an anti-corruption ombudsman organization in the Indian states.
- Himachal Pradesh Lokayukta Act was passed in 1983.
- Governor appoints the Lokayukta for the term of 5 years after consultation with the Chief Justice of High Court and Leader of Opposition in the State Legislative Assembly.
- Eligibility: Only a person who has been a judge of the Supreme Court or a Chief Justice of High Court in India.
- Justice T.V.R. Tattachari was appointed as first Lokayukta of Himachal Pradesh on 17 August 1983.
Following have occupied this office since then.
1) Justice T.V.R. Tatachari (Tenure – 17.08.1983 to 16.08.1988)
2) Justice R.B. Mishra (Tenure – 04.11.1988 to 03.11.1993)
3) Justice P.C. Balakrishnamenon (Tenure – 02.02.1994 to 11.07.1999)
4) Justice Om Prakash (Tenure – 12.07.1999 to 07.05.2002)
5) Justice Bhawani Singh (Tenure – 07.05.2006 to 05.04.2011)
6) Justice Lokeshwar Singh Panta (Tenure – 03.02.2012 to continue)
Kindly point out mistakes if any, in the comment section.
Liked the article? We’re a non-profit website. Make a donation and help us build our work.