Solan district has many places which provide an incomparable pictures and natural scenes from the tourist point of view and also has many religious and historical places. A few of these are elucidated below:
- This tourist resort is located at a distance of 45 kms. from Solan and 43 kms. from Shimla.
- Chail is connected with a pucca all-weather motorable road.
- With a lush green setting, this was the former summer capital of the Patiala state.
- At 2,250 meters above mean sea level, it has the world’s highest cricket pitch and polo ground.
- The Himachal Pradesh Tourist Development Corporation is running a hotel that used to be the palace of Maharaja Patiala.
- This hotel is located at a ridge which provides more thrill and glimpses of colourful natural view to the visitors.
- It is situated on Kalka-Shimla National Highway at a distance of 15 kms. from Solan and 30 kms. from Shimla.
- The place was famous during the time of erstwhile rulers of Patiala.
- The climate of this place is semi-temperate and off-season vegetables and fruits are the speciality of the place.
- The road for Chail is bifurcated from this place as such it provides resting place to the tourists.
- The place is also known for the Indira Gandhi Holiday Home.
- Kasauli is a beautiful small town situated at a distance of 32 kms. from Solan and 77 kms. from Shimla.
- This place is at a height of 1,927 meters from the mean sea level.
- This tourist resort is suitable for the summer vacation.
- The famous Lawrence Public School at Sanawar is on the opposite ridge of the town.
- The Central Research Institute engaged in the research and manufacturing of various vaccines is located in the town.
- The tehsil headquarters office is also located in the town.
- This quit little town is surrounded by mixed forests of Chir, Pine, Himalayan Oak, and huge horse-chestnuts.
- Its narrow roads slither up and down the hillsides and offer some magnificent vistas.
- The town is locally administered by Cantonment Board.
- Solan is located on Kalka-Shimla National Highway at a distance of about 50 kms. from Kalka and 48 kms. from Shimla.
- The altitude of this place is 1,453 meters from the mean sea level.
- The place became the district headquarters in September, 1972. Since then, the place is being developed rapidly.
- Solan is also coming up on the industrial map of the state.
- The dust-free moderate climate is suitable for many industries.
- Solan is also developing as a wholesale market in offseason vegetables, stone-fruits and as a business centre for many other goods.
- Solan has a hotel of Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation in addition to P.W.D. Rest House and Municipal Committee Rest House.
- Many hotels and restaurants have also come-up keeping in view the influx of tourists almost throughout the year.
- In its surrounding areas, some places like Barog have been developed and have ample facilities and natural attractions for tourists.
- This place is situated at a distance of 15 kms. from Solan on Shimla-Kalka road, with a motorable link of one Km. from Kumarhatti.
- The altitude of this place is 1,922 meters from the mean sea level.
- The place is a health resort as well as a place of natural beauty.
- The town is administered by Cantonment Board.
- It is situated on Kalka-Shimla National Highway only 3 kms. away from Kalka.
- The town is old opening way to the Himachal Pradesh for the people of Punjab and Haryana.
- The town is rapidly developing as an Industrial Estate in Himachal Pradesh.
- Many medium and large scale industries have come-up in Parwanoo.
- The town is locally administered by the Municipal Council.
- A few other offices like Electricity, H.R.T.C., Town and Country Planning Office etc. are also located in this town.
- It is connected by a motorable road from Solan as well as from Dharmpur.
- It is located at a distance of about 24 km. from Solan.
- This place got its importance after the establishment of the Gorkha Training Centre.
- In the olden days, Subathu was known as a famous business centre and a trading center for agriculture produce.
- This place is also considered to be a health resort.
- The town is administered by Cantonment Board.
- This place is 82 km. from Solan and is connected by a motorable road.
- Nalagarh town was the capital of erstwhile Nalagarh rulers before its merger with the Indian Union.
- The town is located at the foothills of Shiwalik hills and directly connected with the plains.
- It has also a fort on the top of the town.
- Small hills facing the town provide a unique view for the tourists.
- Nalagarh town has grown-up as an industrial area.
- Many small and medium scale industries are already functioning in the area providing ample opportunity for employment to the youths.
- This small town is at a distance of 55 km. from Solan and is connected by a motorable road.
- This place has a historical significance because of the capital of the erstwhile ruler.
- It has a big fort on the top of the town.
- The town is administrated by a Nagar Panchyat.
- The place is the headquarters of the subdivisional office and other offices like tahsil office, irrigation, P.W.D., etc.
- A cave is also adjacent to this town. This cave has religious importance and is known as a cave of Lord Shiva. This place is visited on various occasions by many devotees.