In the district, a number of fairs are held throughout the year. A few of these are elucidated below:
Sharad Purnima Fair:
- This fair is held at Unchagaon (Kunihar) in a ground surrounding the tank for two days in the month of January-February.
- It starts from ‘Puranmashi’ and lasts uptil the next day.
- It is held in the honour of ‘Sharad Purnima’ and ‘Devta Dano dev’ whose temple is on the bank of the tank.
- Worship is done on ‘Puranmashi’ and ‘Sankrant’ by a Brahmin.
Dev Bara Fair:
- It is held at Mangal Kandar for three days from 21st March to 23rd March.
- This place is about 81 kms. from Shimla.
- The fair is held in the honour of ‘Devta Baru’.
- The deity is brought to Mangal Kandar on the 20th March.
- The idols of the deity are adorned with ornaments and cloth pieces.
- It is cooked and distributed among those present.
- On the 21st March, prayer is held.
- After this, the deity is carried on the shoulders by two persons and a dance is held.
- This continues for three days.
- On 23rd March Devta Baru is taken back.
- Bani fair is held on the 8th May at Hardev Pura Shankli which is 3 kms. from Kunihar.
- Wrestling bouts are the main features of this fair.
- The fair is held for a day at Baili adjoining Kunihar on ‘Sankrant’ in September.
- A cattle show is arranged and the owners of best animals are given prizes.
- This fair is also held at Arki for two days.
- A wrestling bout is also held during the fair.
- Koti fair is held at Koti village in Solan tahsil in the month of May/June for a day and a night.
- The fair is held in the honour of ‘Mira Devi’ whose temple is situated here.
- Sometimes a baby show is also arranged in the fair and the children who are healthy and in good physique are given gifts.
- Solan fair is held in the honour of Shoolini Devi whose temple is situated in the southern end of Solan.
- The fair is celebrated every year on the 2nd Sunday of June for four days.
- Wrestling is a prominent feature of the Solan fair.