Post Code: 688
1. A circular rod of diameter 40 mm and length 100 mm is subjected to a tensile force. The extension of the rod is 0.08 mm and change in diameter is 0.004 mm.
What is the Poisson’s ratio of the material of the rod?
2. Consider the following salient points in a stress-strain curve of a mild steel bar:
- Yield point
- Breaking point
- Yield plateau
- Proportionality limit
- Ultimate point
The correct sequence in which they occur while testing the mild steel bar in tension from initial zero strain to failure is:
- 4, 1, 2, 3 and 5
- 4, 1, 3, 5 and 2
- 4, 1, 5, 3 and 2
- None of these
3. An easy way to remember to fight fires is by using the techniques with which nickname?
4. In Pelton turbine. if the jet ratio is 10, then the number of buckets on a runner required are:
5. A square pile group of 16 piles penetrates through a filled up soil of 3 m depth. The pile diameter is 250 mm and pile spacing is 0.75 m. The unit cohesion of the material is 18 kN/m2 and the unit weight of soil is 15 kN/m3. What will be the negative skin?
Friction for piles acting individually? (Assume reduction factor m = 0.4)
- 271.4 kN
- 270 kN
- 290 kN
- 821.3 kN
6. Which of the following is an indicator of Air Pollution?
7. Match List-I with List-II and choose the correct answer.
List – I (Act) List – II (Year)
- Wildlife Protection Act 1. 1980
- Forest Co1tservation Act 2. 1972
- Air Pollution Act 3. 1974
- Water Pollution Act 4. 1981
a b c d
(A) 2 1 4 3
(B) 1 2 3 4
(C) 3 2 1 4
(D) 4 3 2 1
8. Match List-l with List-2 which contains Pollutants gases and their threshold limit value as per WHO standard.
List – l (Pollutants) List – 2 (Threshold)
CO 1. 2 ppm
SO2 2. 50 ppm
NO 3. 0.08 ppm
PAN 4. 25 ppm
a b c d
(A) 2 3 1 4
(B) 4 2 1 3
(C) 2 1 4 3
(D) 3 4 2 1
9. WAYU stands for:
- Wind Augment Purifying Unit
- Wind Augmentation Purifying Unit
- Wind Augmentation Purification Unit
- None of these
10. Acceptable Noise pollution level in India range between:
- 16-30 decibels
- 40-45 decibels
- 80-100 decibels
- 20-35 decibels
11. The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 industries are allowed to release waste in inland water having BOD level in (mg/l).
12. The permissible arsenic level in (microgram/litre) in drinking water is:
13. If 100% noise dose corresponds to equivalent sound pressure levels L=90 dB for 8 hours, then 25% dose would correspond to:
- 90 dB for 4 hrs
- 93 dB for 2 hrs
- 87 dB for 4 hrs
- 87 dB for 2 hrs
14. The use of anthropoid hazard chemicals like DDT causes reduction in fish population because the chemical minimizes the effect of:
- Luteinizing hormone
- All of these
15. Steel unit generates which of the following Air Pollutants?
- Particulate, Smoke, CO, Fluoride
- SO2, NOx, Particulate, Smoke
- NOx, SO2, Particulate
- SO2, Acid Mist
16. In deep oceans the phenomena of inverted biomass pyramid occur mainly due to:
- fast growth rate and high nutrient requirement of producers
- rapid turnover rate and short life span of producers
- slow growth rate and high nutrients requirements of herbivores
- slow turnover and long life span of herbivores
Which of the following combination is correct?
- I and III
- I and IV
- II and III
- II and IV
17. Which of the chlorine compound is used for the disinfection of municipal supply water?
- Calcium Chloride
- Potassium Permanganate
- Magnesium Chloride
18. For dumping of radioactive nuclear waste which of the following method is used?
- Salt mines
- River beds
19. Ionization potentials employed in the Industrial electrostatic precipitator is the order of:
- 30 to/70 kV DC
- 30 to/70 kV AC
- 10 to/40 kV DC
- 10 to/40 kV AC
20. Beyond what concentration of H2S in air, acute danger to human life exists?
- 100 ppm
- 300 ppm
- 500 ppm
- 700 ppm
21. Maximum permissible concentration (i.e. TLV) of DDT in public water supply system in microgram per litre is:
22. One kilogram of ethylene (C2H4) requires 2 kg of oxygen and produces 22/7 kg of carbon dioxide and ________________ kg of water stream.
23. Work done in a free expansion process is Minimum thickness of biodegradable plastic carry bag is:
24. Mass of carbon per kg of flue gas is given by:
- (7/3) * CO2 + (3/11) * CO
- (11/3) * CO2 + (3/7) * CO
- (3/11) * CO2 + (11/3) * CO
- (11/3) * CO2 + (3/11) * CO
25. Under the Factory Act, 1948, the occupier of the factory appoints welfare officer in his establishment where no. of workers employed are:
- 400 or more
- 500 or more
- 250 or more
- 300 or more
26. A wall surface of 200 mm thickness has an outside temperature of 50 °C and inside temperature of25 °C with thermal conductivity of 0.51 W/m-K. the heat transfer through this wall will be:
- 63.75 W/m2
- 65.75 W/m2
- 64.75 W/m2
- 62.75 W/m2
27. Air centres a turbojet engine at the rate of 40 kg/s with the velocity of 250 m/s relative to an aircraft which is moving at 300 m/s. Exhaust of the engine has a velocity of 700 m/s relative to the aircraft. The thrust developed by the engine is:
- 24 kN
- 18 kN
- 12 kN
28. Which of the following device complies with the Clausius statement of the second law of the Thermodynamics?
- Closed-cycle gas turbine
- Internal combustion engine
- Steam power plant
- Domestic refrigerator
29. Babbit is an alloy of:
- Sn, Cu Sb and Pb
- Sn, Cu and Sb
- Sn, and Cu
- Cu and Pb
30. The diameter of solid shaft made of mild steel, rotating at 250 r.p.m. is 45 mm. The shaft is designed to transmit 50 kW. What will be the factor of safety if the ultimate shear stress at yield is 427 N/mm2?
31. The number of instantaneous centres of rotation for a 10-link kinematic chain is:
32. Which of the following hardness test uses the principle of measurement of depth of indentation for obtaining the hardness of material being tested?
33. Consider the following:
Moistures should be removed from the refrigerants to avoid:
- Compressor seal failure
- Freezing at expansion valve
- Restriction to refrigerant flow
- Corrosion of steel parts
Of these statements, correct one is:
- 1, 2, 3
- 1, 2, 3, 4
- 2, 3, 4
- 1, 2, 4
34. Which of the following statement is true to the two-dimensional flow of ideal fluids?
- Potential function exists if stream function exists.
- Both potential function and stream function must exist for every flow.
- Stream function may or may not exist.
- Potential function may or may not exist.
35. Sewerage is a term used for:
- household and industrial waste only
- industrial waste only
- commercial waste only
- infrastructure that conveys sewage
36. From ecological considerations, the minimum level of dissolved oxygen necessary in the river and stream is:
- 6 mg/l
- 4 mg/l
- 2 mg/l
- 5 mg/l
37. The maximum concentration of Harappan sites is in the:
- Foothills of the Himalayas
- Marshy lands of the Rann of Kutch
- Upland of Baluchistan
- Plain of the Indus and its tributaries
38. Which of the following Rig Vedic gods is said to be the upholder of the cosmic order?
39. The Jain temples known for the finest marble carvings in India are situated at:
- Mount Abu
40. The Palas lost their political power at the hands of:
41. Who is best regarded as the founder of Turkish Empire in India?
- Shahabuddin Muhammad
- Mahmud of Ghazni
- Qutbuddin Aibak
42. In which year did Vasco da Gama’s ship reach Calicut?
43. Which class of the Rajputs predominated the Hindu nobility of Akbar?
44. Who was the founder of the Theosophical Society?
- Annie Besant
- Col. H.S. Olcott
- Madame H.P. Blavatsky
- None of these
45. A slate is a form of:
- Igneous rocks
- Metamorphic rocks
- Sedimentary rocks
- None of these
46. Which of the following is not an ideal condition for the formation of dew?
- Calm air
- Cloudless sky
- Warm days
- Vicinity to water bodies
47. Which of the following is the finest terrigeneous material?
48. Chernozem soils fall in the category of:
- Zonal order
- Azonal order
- Intra-Zonal order
- None of these
49. The Mahabharata Range is the range of the:
- Lesser Himalaya
50. Which of the following rivers does not make a delta?
51. Blood-worts are found mostly in:
- Western Ghats
- Eastern Ghats
- Western Himalayas
52. Which of the following is also called white coal?
- Natural Gas
53. Cash crops do not include:
54. Warships are manufactured at:
- Mazgaon shipyard
- Vishakhapatnam shipyard
- Hindustan shipyard
- Kochi shipyard
55. Joint Parliamentary Session in India is chaired by the:
- President of India
- Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- Prime Minister of India
- None of these