- According to the traditional folklore of people, the Kullu valley originally bore the name of ‘Kauntapitha’ means the end of the inhabitable world.
- Bihangmani Pal is believed to have been founder of Kullu state.
- Kailash Pal (1428 A.D.) was the last Raja to bore the surname of Pal.
- Jagat Singh (A.D. 1637-1672) was the most powerful ruler of the dynasty.
- The idol of Raghunath ji was brought from Ayodhya in 1651 by a Brahmin named ‘Damodar Das’ and installed in Kullu by Raja Jagat Singh.
- Raja Jagat Singh transferred the capital from Naggar to Sultanpur in A.D. 1660.
- Hieun Tsang visited Kullu in A.D. 635.
- Mr. Moorcraft was the first European to visit Kullu on his way back to Ladakh in A.D. 1820.
- In 1846 A.D., Kullu became the sub-division of Kangra district.
- Kullu has the distinction of having the oldest democracy in the world in village ‘Malana’.
- Jagatsukh, Naggar and Sultanpur were the capital of princely state form time to time.
Other important information about District Kullu:
- Headquarter: Kullu
- Altitude: 1219 meters
- Languages spoken: Kullui & Hindi
- The district is located between 31°58’00” North Altitude and 77°06’4” East Longitude.
- The only river which originates from district Kullu is Beas.
- The Mansarovar Lake in olden days was known as Mantilac.
- The Potato Development Stations in Kullu are at Hamta (Kullu) and Kuna (Anni).
- The Vegetable Research Station in Kullu is at Katrain. This station is maintained by Indian Agriculture Institute.
Suggested Reading: Famous Places & Institutes in Himachal Pradesh
- The Cereal Seed Multiplication Farm is at Sainj, Kullu which is maintained by National Seed Corporation.
- Pioneer of fruit growing in district Kullu was Capt. R.C.Lee of ‘Bundrole orchard’. He set up an apple orchard in the year 1870 and obtained plants from United Kingdom.
- Padha Bansi Lal was the first local farmer who planted apples trees in the District Kullu at Seobagh.
- Sheep breeding farm at Nagwain started in 1963 under Indo-German project.
- Bed Ram Thakur was the founder of Bhuti Weavers Co-operative society in 1944.
- In the past, Manali was known as ‘Dana Aghe’.
- The First Guest House in Manali was Sunshine Guest House managed by Banon family.
Liked the article? We’re a non-profit website. Make a donation and help us build our work.