Q. Who was Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri?
Ans: Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri was a renowned writer, critic, poet and linguistic, born in the family of Pt. Shiv Kumar of Guler (Kangra district) on 7th July 1883 in Jaipur.
Q. Who was the father of Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri?
Ans: His father was the family priest of Jaipur Raja and Principal at local Sanskrit College.
Q. What was the education of Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri?
Ans: Chanderdhar passed his Matric with 1st division from Allahabad University in 1899, for which he was awarded a gold medal by Maharaja of Jaipur. Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri passed his B.A. from Allahabad University in 1903 with 1st position.
Q. What were the achievements of Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri?
- At the age of 17, he built a library and Nagari Bhavan in Jaipur.
- He wrote an English book “Jaipur observatory and its Builders“.
- From 1903-1907 he was the editor of the magazine, ‘Samalochak’.
- In 1916 was appointed head priest and Head of Sanskrit in the Mayo College of Ajmer.
- In 1920, he came to Banaras, where he was conferred the honour Professor of History.
- In 1922 he was appointed Prof. (Manichandra Nandi Chair) in Banaras Hindu University.
- At the same time, he was an editor of ‘Kashi Nagri Pracharni Patrika‘.
- He is also remembered for his efforts to preserve the Jantar Mantar Observatory in Jaipur.
Q. What are the famous works of Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri?
Ans: His famous works are ‘Usne Kaha Tha‘ (उनसे कहा था), (Sukhmaya Jeevan (सुखमय जीवन), and ‘Buddha Ka Kanta (बुद्ध का कांटा).
The story Usne Kaha Tha was brought to the big screen in 1960 with the same name. Produced by Bimal Roy, the film starred Sunil Dutt and Nanda and directed by Moni Bhattacharjee.