History of District Solan:
The present district Solan comprises of the erstwhile princely states Mangal, Baghal (Arki), Baghat, Kunihar, Kuthar, Beja, Mehlog, Hindur (Nalagarh) and parts of Keonthal and Koti.
- Baghat state was founded by Hari Chand Pal or Besant Pal.
- Mahender Singh died issueless in A.D. 1839 and then state was lapse to government.
- In A.D. 1849, Vijay Singh died without male issue and the state was again declared escheat. Lord Dalhousie annexed ‘Baghat’ state under the Doctrine of Lapse.
- Raja Durga Singh was the last ruler of Baghat state.
- The founder of the Baghal state was Ajay Dev.
- Headquarter of the Baghal state was Arki.
- The Gurkhas invaded Baghal state during the reign of Rana Jagat Singh (1778 – 1828 A.D.)
- Rajinder Pal was the last ruler of Baghal state.
- The founder of Kunihar state was Abhoj Dev.
- Headquarter of Kunihar state was Hat Koti.
- The last ruler of Kunihar state was Hardev Singh.
- The founder of Mehlog state was Hari Chand.
- At present Mehlog is a part of Kasauli Tehsil of Solan district.
Hindur (Nalagarh) state:
- The founder of Hindur state was Ajay Chand.
- Ram Chand son of Narayan Chand was a great lover of architecture. He built the fort ‘Ramgarh’ and made ‘Ramshahar’ as the summer capital of state.
Other important information about district Solan:
- Headquarter: Solan
- Altitude: 1463 meters
- Languages spoken: Baghati, Hinduri and Hindi.
- The district Solan is located between the longitudes 76.42° and 77.20° East and latitude 30.05° and 31.15° North.
- The prominent valleys in the district Solan are Saproon Valley, Don Valley and Kunihar Valley.
- Among all the districts of Himachal Pradesh, Solan district has the largest number of large, medium and small scale industries units.
- The maximum electronics units in the district Solan is at Chambaghat and Jubbar Hati.
- Apple processing plant of Himachal Pradesh Horticulture Producer Marketing and Processing Corporation is at Parwanoo.
- Mohan Meakin Brewery is famous for manufacturing Indian made foreign liquor and beverages is at Solan.
- The fairs celebrated in the district Solan are Sharad Purnima fair (Kunihar), Solan fair, Koti fair, Devi Bara fair, Baishakhi fair (Kunihar), Bani fair and Bari fair.
Liked the article? We’re a non-profit website. Make a donation and help us build our work.