Q. Where/When did Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ born?
Ans: Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ was born on 3rd November 1914 at Garli, Pragpur, district Kangra, resident of ‘Aandhi Bhavan Jakhu’ (near Ashoka Hotel), Shimla.
Q. Who was the father of Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’?
Ans: His father’s name was Shri Bhagmal Sood, a cloth merchant from Kangra.
Read also: ॥ Chanderdhar Sharma Guleri ॥ Shri Lal Chand Prarthi ॥ Norah Richards॥ Shri Bakshi Pratap Singh॥ Nicholas Roerich॥ Amrita Sher Gill॥ Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur ॥
Q. How did Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ join Indian National Movement?
- Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ left his studies at the age of 8 and joined the Indian National Movement.
- He passed ‘Hindi Rattan‘ from jail (Lahore).
- His first taste of Jail was on 28th April 1930, during the Civil Disobedience Movement.
- He also participated in picketing and bonfire of foreign goods.
- In 1930, Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ spent 8 months jail in ‘Kasoor‘ and ‘Bosal’ jail of Lahore.
- In 1932, he got one month and 16 days of imprisonment.
- In 1934, he was President and for 16 years Vice–President of the District Congress Committee.
- He joined the Congress Socialist party in 1935.
- In 1936, he again got 3-month jail in Amritsar.
- In 1939, 5-month jail in Hyderabad.
- In 1942, he participated in the ‘Quit India movement‘ for which sentenced to 8-month jail in Ludhiana and Multan.
- In 1947, from 18th July to 18th November, he was under house arrest.
Shri Deena Nath ‘Aandhi’ had been playing a great role in the national awakening by organising corner meetings.
On 15 August 1972, was honoured by the State Government.
Once in the Courtroom, he was asked by the Judge his name, he replied: “My name is Aandhi, son of Mahatma Gandhi”.
But Andhi was attracted more by socialism and less by Gandhi’s political ideology, more by the acts of heroism involved in 2 baiting the authority and less by Satyagraha.
Read also: ॥ Sardar Shobha Singh॥ Baba Kanshi Ram॥ Bhag Mal Sautha॥ Satya Prakash Bakshi ‘Baggi‘॥ Shri Padam Dev॥ Surat Singh Vaid॥ Kinkri Devi ॥ Justice Mehar Chand Mahajan॥ Shri Yashpal॥
Stay updated with us: